Friday, December 19, 2008

Technology – Searching For The Solution, Sometimes Finding It.

Here’s an example of upgrading, going cheap – and paying the price - twice.

I use a Motorola Q smart phone. I love it. I was one of those ‘tethered’ users, though. Always had the hard-wired earbud in my ear. I decided to go Bluetooth. What the heck, the technology had been out there for a while, everybody’s using them (or so it seems) and I tried walking away from my desk with the phone dragging behind me for the last time.

I didn’t take the time to really check into the devices, just went to my local Staples, found a ‘cost-effective’ device and started using it.

I found that as I now wirelessly wandered around the office (now leaving my phone on my desk as opposed to dragging it behind me) I lost the pairing of the phone and Bluetooth when I went too far away. It wouldn’t automatically re-connect when I got back in range, either. So I’d have to go through the sequence again, enter the pairing code, etc., and it would be fine – until I wandered away again. I do that a lot.

Then one day, my cat did me a huge favor. Attracted by the blue blinking light, she jumped onto the dresser and started scooting the little device around. She knocked it to the floor, and scooted it someplace where it is un-findable. (This is my best guess at what happened, there were no eye-witnesses or web cam footage to claim otherwise.)

I decided to check into a new Bluetooth earpiece (I couldn’t work without one) and found one made by – Motorola! – the same manufacturer as my phone. This one was about twice the money, but it is great. It has a mouthpiece/microphone that folds up and closes and actually turns the device off to save battery power. If I wander out of range, it re-connects to the phone within about 5 seconds of getting back into range. No more fiddling around a dozen times a day to re-pair the devices. I can even close the mouthpiece to turn it off, re-open it and it will reconnect if I’m within range.

There are many fine manufacturers that make replacement parts and accessories for technology purchases. In this case, while the first Bluetooth unit worked, it had serious functional shortcomings for me. Perhaps it would have been fine with another make or model cell phone. It turned out that the best solution for me was to go with the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) brand. I’m sure there are dozens of similar stories out there.

I now safely store my Bluetooth unit in a little covered box when I get ready to retire. It rests comfortably next to my Realtor® pin and a few other small items. The cat still looks for interesting things on top of the dresser, and I don’t discourage her. I’m waiting to see what else she can teach me.

No comments: