Saturday, January 24, 2009

Random Thoughts on Listing Foreclosure Homes

Sure, it's not all bad. But agents listing bank-owned homes work a lot harder on these transactions than you might think. We often have to get utilities on in our names, and pay for lawn and snow maintenance. Here's a few things that happened to me in the last week.

First. An agent called that a lockbox was 'frozen' at one of the condo listings I have. It just wouldn't open. Weird, I thought. Sure, there's no screen door and it's been snowing and really cold, but still. I grabbed the extra set of keys and went over. Hmm. No lockbox. And my keys don't work. What's up?

The Asset Manager for the bank didn't know, either. I called the property management company that the bank assigned, told them the story and they went out to check. They called back and said they couldn't get in either. Locks changed, new lockbox installed and access re-established, though. So I went over, grabbed the extra set of keys and found my old lockbox inside the door. I couldn't figure out what happened.

Then a call from the Condo Association. They were afraid the unit would 'freeze', so they changed the locks to get in and made sure it was winterized. Aagh! All of that for naught. They could have called me and I'd have given them the code to get in. I lost three showings in this little episode. But all is well now.

Second. A showing agent called to report that the door was found closed but unlocked on another condo listing I have, and that she tried to lock it when done, but couldn't get the lock to catch. Drive down there to find the door is out of plumb (bad hinge) and you have to really lift and pull to get the lock to catch. (I mean really, really lift and pull.) I got it to lock and had to make another trip with my tools to tighten the offending hinge.

Third. Agent calls after a showing a bank-owned property. It's a different kind of lockbox that the property management company is using. When the code was entered, the lockbox unlatched form the door. There's a reset lever in back and somehow when re-attaching it, she changed the code to an unknown 4 digit combination and couldn't get it to open to get the keys back in. We arranged a hiding spot for the keys, and I dashed into the office to get a new lock box, take it to the property and put the keys inside. Just when I was planning to sit down with a nice glass of wine and a good book. Oh, well.

Things I've found useful to carry around in my vehicle for foreclosures. Duct tape, clear strapping tape, disposable painters (paper) masks, a 5-cell flashlight and a battery powered lantern, miscellaneous sized pieces of wood to secure door walls or sliding windows if they don't lock, a canister of alcohol-based hand sanitizer, wet wipes and a couple of clean rags. And always carry a pair of work boots, too. Now I'll make sure that I have one or two extra lock boxes with me. And I guess I'll keep my cordless drill and bits in the car, as well. (I could have cut one of the trips out of number 2, above, if I had some tools handy.) In the movie Jaws, Chief Brody has a line that goes, "We're gonna need a bigger boat". If this keeps up I'm gonna need a bigger car.

Selling agents, when you're offered bonuses on foreclosure properties, I really am happy for you. I wish that the banks would understand that the listing agents deserve a little extra, too. We're listing agents, property managers, and in many cases we're acting as general contractors, too, since we have to manage bids, repairs, and re-inspections on some of these properties. It seems like more and more lately.

Oh, and next week I'll be managing the repair of a property that has a foot of water and ice in the basement. No lack of challenges there.

2 comments:

Richard said...

From when this post was done till now, foreclosures have gotten worse. However, there is hope of improvement in some of the numbers. Let's hope that all that is going on to help this market surely turns it around.

lisa_d said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.