Friday, October 09, 2009

The Holidays Are Closing In!

After a summer of spring-like weather, here we are starting to feel like Fall. And looking like it, too. I couldn't help but to compare the sky one day last week with the appearance of winter snow clouds.

Quite striking. And of course, the fire bushes are turning bright red, maples transitioning into their fall palette and flocks of birds flying towards the south. Even the squirrels seem to have picked up their activity level lately. I hope that's not a harbinger of a hard winter. As much as I like all four seasons, last winter was a harsh kick in the behind after many years of being mild.

The season also brings to mind the coming holidays. My office, Preview Properties, always supports the Livingston County Association of Realtors (LCAR) spring food drive, Fill The Gazebo, for Gleaners Community Food Bank. Recently the barrels appeared again in the office and it reminded me that this is a time of year when people on a tight budget have extra bills. Heating and more electicity needs are usually at the top of the list and sometimes they don't have money to buy enough food.

At the local grocery this week, I noticed canned goods on sale for $0.39 each. I bought a case each of corn and green beans, and a couple of other sale items to drop off in the Gleaners collection bin. I urge you, too, to think about those struggling families and make a similar effort. It won't cost much, and your donation will go far.

If you're local to my area, feel free to drop off donations at our office at 130 W. Grand River, Brighton 48116, or at the Gleaners Community Food Bank on Sterling Drive, off Dorr Rd just south of Grand River Ave.

No comments: