Monday, March 04, 2013

Homeowners - A Property Tax Appeal Guideline

For those of you that are homeowners and who haven’t yet subscribed to my real estate e-newsletter (why not?), here’s some great information for appealing your property tax assessment that you probably missed seeing.  I get numerous calls every year about this very topic – this year they started in January.

State Senator Joe Hune (22nd Senate District) has put together a very informative brochure that you will find useful if you want to make an appeal.  First, you have to appeal to your municipal Board of Review.  Don’t forget to make an appointment for this!

 If you fail at the local level, you can appeal to the State Tax Tribunal.  The brochure correctly states that you do not need an attorney to do this, but my anecdotal evidence over the years seems to point to a higher success rate when you are represented by either an attorney or a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
Follow the format in the brochure to be as well prepared as possible. 

Editor Note: Because I have shifted web platforms, the link to the guide is no longer available. Feel free to contact me by email and I'll be happy to send the guide to you.

And if you'd like to subscribe to my newsletter, click on the 'Join My Mailing List' button on the right side of this blog.

No comments: