Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Are You Ready?

We’ve been hearing a lot about ‘getting ready’ on the east coast this week, in preparation for the historical blizzard.  Folks are shuttering windows, laying in provisions, stocking up on gasoline for their generators, and getting ready to spend a couple of days indoors.

This is an extreme event however.  Some of what we face in the normal course of life is less obvious or less predictable that a monster winter storm (named Juno, by the way).  I was reminded of that last evening in a mundane, even humorous way.

A sock had fallen behind the washing machine.  It was my job to fish it out. After retrieving the errant clothing, I glanced at my water supply hoses.  The hot water hose was markedly ‘bubbled’ where it connects to both the machine and the faucet.  I was lucky to have noticed it before the hose burst. Had it done so when I was away, the water would have just flowed, and flowed, and flowed. 

I had a lesser ‘flood’ from a broken washing machine 5 years ago. Maybe 20 or 25 gallons of water that I caught immediately did just over $10,000 in damage. Can you imagine if the water ran for an hour, or two, or three?  Yikes.



I’ve included a picture of the old hoses, (5 years old to be exact) and their newer replacements which are steel braid with a rubber cover.  And the new ones have a lifetime guarantee.  $16 to replace with the same type I had or $25 to upgrade to the newer style.


Please add ‘check washer hoses’ to your annual list with smoke detector batteries and setting your clock forward or back.  And you might want to check your homeowner’s insurance to be sure you have proper coverage in case of a flood, too.  Are you ready?  I am (now).

No comments: