Monday, January 05, 2015

List My Home In January???

Yes, it may seem counter-intuitive to many homeowners, but there are some great reasons to beat the ‘spring rush’ for listing your home by doing so in January.

I know all the reasons for not doing so. I’ve heard them every one of my 17 years in the real estate business.  In no particular order, they’re:
  • People will track up my home because of sloppy weather
  • Nobody’s really looking to buy this time of year
  • It’s too much of a hassle
  • We just want to relax after the busy holiday season

Rather than address these statements individually, let me say this – January is a fairly robust month for getting homes under contract. In Livingston County, over 200 homes each January since 2010 are shown, get an offer, are negotiated and reach an agreement.  And remember that 2010 and 2011 were not rosy years for selling real estate.

Don’t wait for sunny weather if you need to sell.  I can show you ways to maximize your home’s appeal for selling right now.  Figure a sale in 60 days and where does that put you?  Right into the middle of March for a move-out date. Take advantage of lower competition and buyers that are motivated.  Of course they’re motivated. Why would they be looking at houses now instead of waiting for nicer weather?


Call me for an honest opinion of your home’s value AND marketability.  It’s free.

Please visit and 'like' my facebook real estate page.  I constantly post short items of interest to both current and future homeowners.  It's at http://www.facebook.com/MichiganRE

image courtesy Stuart Miles/freedigitalphotos.net

No comments: