Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Helpful Technology – Batch Picture Resizing

Every now and then you come across a program that makes life so much easier that you wondered how you lived without it. Maybe it’s a widget or gadget for your desktop or your Smartphone. Perhaps it’s an app on your Nook or Kindle. Maybe it’s a full blown suite of products for specific needs.


from www.softorbits.com

One that I couldn’t easily live without is the Batch Picture Resizer by SoftOrbits. In Real Estate, we take a lot of pictures. My high-res photos are great for printed materials, but cumbersome or even unusable for upload to the multilist system (MLS), clients and web sites. I was using a very basic re-sizing function that was part of my operating system until I discovered Batch Picture Resizer.

I can now select, drag and resize an entire folder of pictures in one action. Since my source photos are 3008 x 2000 pixels (usually around 2MB in size each), the time needed to individually resize photos was awkward and frustrating.

I downloaded the free trial not expecting a whole lot, to be honest. We’ve all had that experience – download, try, uninstall, delete, keep looking. But this program was different. I can resize by pixels or percentage of the original. While not overwhelming in terms of functions, it allows for renaming files by adding either prefixes or suffixes to the original file, or adding a watermark. It has ample folder handling functions to keep your pictures organized, and will do rotations easily, too. At an affordable $29.95, it was a no-brainer for me to purchase this program.

If you deal with a lot of photos on a regular basis, you should consider evaluating this program on a free trial basis. I think you’ll be happy with it.  Do you have a particular program that you can't live without? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments: