Wednesday, October 28, 2015

How To Protect Your Digital Data – Or Else!

What could be worse than losing your tablet or smartphone and having somebody access your social media accounts, business information, and contacts?  Well, OK, identity theft.  And that could happen, too.  But not if you’re a bit proactive.  Here are just a few basic defenses for you.

My first line of defense is a simple one.  My tablet, laptop and smartphone all have a screen lock.  My smartphone auto locks after 2 minutes of inactivity (which admittedly is sometimes a real pain), my tablet locks after 5 minutes, and I manually lock my laptop anytime I step away from it.  Yup, rest room break, out for lunch, meeting with a colleague – it gets locked.  Luckily, you can set the time interval for the auto lock to whatever you prefer.  The important thing is that if you lose your device (or it gets stolen), it will be harder for somebody to access your services and accounts.

Think about social media. On my smartphone and my tablet, I stay logged in to certain sites unless I specifically click ‘log out’.  Many don’t because they’d be logging in a hundred times a day. Lose the phone and anybody now can post in my name, solicit my friends, and in general cause havoc with my life.

Something that still amazes me is the number of people that do not back up their devices.  Please, back up your data.  With cloud storage this is so easy.  Afraid of the cloud?  Buy an external drive and let it run at night.  Storage has never been cheaper and you won’t go into a cold sweat if your device gets trashed.

Get and use a quality anti-virus software.  These programs have developed so much that they detect bad web sites, dangerous files sent to you anonymously and many other threats that you’ve not heard of yet.  I opt to pay for a well known package that protects three devices for an annual subscription.  That is ‘cheap insurance’ to me.  Some free programs are good, too, but lack all of the features.

Keep your software up to date.  It’s a royal pain when your operating system wants to constantly ‘update’.  Often that requires a reboot, at least on the laptop.  Still, these updates often take care of newly discovered security threats as well as fixing old bugs, so it really is worth it to do the update.  You don’t have to do it immediately if you’re in the middle of something, but do it sooner rather than later.

Be careful of the apps you install and read the installation prompts!   I recently had an alert to update two applications, one needed to let my web browser operate properly, and another program that I use multiple times daily.  On installation, one wanted to change my ‘preferred browser’ to something different and the second one wanted to install web browser ‘tool bar’ that I didn’t need.  Often the tool bar installation changes your web home page and many other preferences.  A simple click on the ‘decline’ box was all it took to not let that happen. Entertainment apps in particular can install unwanted features.

Beware the “crazy good offer’.  Usually it’s something like, “for our 125th anniversary we’re giving away 125 bottles or cases of ‘x’ totally free”.  Or cartons of cigarettes.  It could be anything.  The link you click on has a similar name but is not the company web site.  These folks are fishing (phishing) for your personal info or for marketing data.  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  Keep your antennae up! And don’t nibble on the bait.


If you have real estate questions, you can contact me at anytime for straight answers or referrals to somebody that can help better than I.  

image courtesy of Stuart Miles/freedigitalphotos.net

No comments: