Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Time Change Sunday November 1st

Before you retire on Halloween, be sure to set your clocks back an hour.  We have to do this less and less it seems.  My mobile phone and cable box do it automatically.  I have a counter top radio that gets the time signal via a local NPR station and it adjusts on its own, too. Likewise for the laptop and tablet.

I have to change the clock on the range and the microwave, and in my car, but that’s about it.  Here are a few other things that you should do when it’s time change time.

Of course, replace your smoke detector batteries.  This is really important because it’s your first line of defense should a fire break out while you and your family are asleep.  But here’s one you probably haven’t thought about.

Check your water supply hoses to your washing machine.

Last year, I was fishing around the back of the washer for a sock that went flying while I loaded it up.  As I grabbed the sock from the side, I noticed a huge bulge in the hot water hose.  It could have burst at any moment.  And since it was before it went into the washing machine it would have spewed water forever had it broken.

 
These were the old black hoses that you can get anywhere for about $6-$7 each.  I decided to upgrade to the newer red/blue braided hoses that come with a lifetime guaranty.  But guess what?  I still check them on time change day. 


Water damage is not something you want to experience.  Especially if you have a first or second floor laundry. (See this blog post explaining how I learned the hard way.)   So please be sure to change your clocks as needed, check your smoke detector batteries, and give a quick look at the water hoses to your washing machine.

As always, should you have a real estate question or need, feel free to call or contact me by way of the info on the right panel of this blog.

photos courtesy digitalart/freedigitalphotos.net and Robert Smith,Realtor

No comments: